Small tweaks go a long way
Eating for your biology does not mean letting go of the foods you love, or even being perfect all the time. It's all about finding the little tweaks, swaps, and additions that work best for you. Your personal scores are your tool to help you do this. With ZOE, you can enjoy eating the foods that you love and use the app to explore all the different ways to boost their scores. Last week you mastered learning the best foods for your body. This week, you can use this new skill to your advantage.
We've put together a list of hacks to help guide you on how to use your knowledge of the best foods for your biology to improve the scores of your favorite meals.
Ways to improve a meal's score
Here are our tips and tricks that can help you boost your scores. As you learn how to build 75+ meals this week, play around with the app and see which of them works for you.
- Keep an eye out for hidden ingredients
- Substitute starches Starches are an important source of carbohydrates that your body needs to sustain energy and thrive. Different sources of starch will have different effects on your biological responses, particularly your blood sugar levels. Can you substitute out lower-scoring starches for ones that score higher for you? These will have more fiber and are less processed, which is great for your gut health!
- Pile on the plants
- Add healthy fats Fats enhance the flavor of meals, have a satiating effect, and also help to keep your blood sugar levels in healthy ranges. Try pairing ingredients richer in carbohydrates with fats that are high scoring for you.
- Adjust the amount of fat
- Choose higher scoring fats for your biology The type of fat you use will affect your meal scores. Scan through the ingredients in your meal, and see if you can identify fats that you could easily substitute for higher scoring options.
- Choose higher scoring cuts of meat and poultry
- Play around with portions No foods need to be off-limits. It's very possible to create high scoring meals that include low scoring foods for you just by simply adjusting their quantities.